The Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage is located in the building that was the first YMCA built for African Americans. It was designed by Booker T. Washington’s son-in-law, W. Sidney Pittman who was one of America’s first African American Architect’s. President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone in 1908. It was named the Twelfth Street YMCA and became a dynamic community center where youth were challenged by wholesome activities, positive values, and inspiring role models. The many notable Americans with beginnings and involvement in this Y included Coach John Thompson, Justice Thurgood Marshall, the poet Langston Hughes, and Dr. Charles Drew. After many illustrious decades of service, this five-story brick building was closed in 1982. The building became designated as a National Historic Landmark and reopened as a restored and remodeled community service center for nonprofit community and heritage programs and offices serving children, youth, and families. – the Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage.
The Thurgood Marshall Center for Service & Heritage is located 1816 12th Street between “S” and “T” Streets in Northwest Washington, D.C., just a few blocks from the U Street – Cardozo Metro Station.
Most of the building is used by nonprofit tenants for program and office space but the historic first floor has spaces available for meetings, receptions, and small events for up to 200 to 300 persons. Specifically, there is:
- A small historic gymnasium for gatherings of up to 250 persons
- Conference space that seats up to 60 persons
- A historic lounge for gathering that seat up to 100
To make rental arrangements please complete the form below or download the facility Rental Application and fax to 202-462-5365 or email info@TMCSH.org, with ‘Facility Rental’ in the subject line.
*Please speak with TMCT Contract Specialist for parking and beverage request.
Contact: Thomasina W. Yearwood, President, (202) 462.8314 or email@example.com